Marvel has several characters within their universe. Some are:
-The Fantastic Four
-X-Men (Professor X, Wolverine, Magneto, Deadpool, Mystique, Cyclops, Beast, Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Havok, Storm, Colossus, etc)
-The Avengers (Thor, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, The Wasp, Quick Silver, etc)
The main publishers/runs of Marvel Comics are:
Claremont, Chris, Dave Cockrum, and John Byrne. Marvel Masterworks: The Uncanny X-Men Vol. 2. New York: Marvel Publishing Inc., 2010. Print.
The Uncanny X-Men does not reach back and tell the origin stories of the X-Men, but instead tells of Jean Grey’s transformation into the Phoenix. Her hospitalization shifts the balance of the team and sends the majority of them away on a forced vacation where they clash with the Juggernaut and Black Tom Cassidy in a castle in a faraway land. Magneto also returns in this collection. The X-Men must come together and discover better ways to work together as a team to defeat their new enemies.
Visual and textual style: bold colors, expressive, informative text, noir style, cinematic panel style, expository, dark, dramatic
Potential readers/appeal factors: science fiction, powers, origin stories, good vs. evil, childhood, partnership
- John Bryne was inducted into the Canadian Comic Book Creator Hall of Fame in 2008. He won the Favourite Comicbook Artist Eagle Awards in 1978 and 1979, a 1980 Inkpot Award, and the 1993 Squiddy Award for Favorite Penciller.
- Chris Claremont has won several awards:
- 1979 Eagle Award for Best Comicbook Write
- 1979 Eagle Award for Favourite Single Story – X-Men #111
- 1979 Eagle Award for Favourite Comicbook – X-Men
- 1979 Eagle Award for Favourite Group or Team – X-Men
- 1980 Eagle Award for Favoutire Comicbook Writer
- 1980 Eagle Award for Favourite Continued Comic Story – X-Men #125-128
- 1980 Eagle Award for Favourite Comicbook – X-Men
- 1980 Eagle Award for Favourite Team – X-Men
- 1983 Comics Buyer’s Guide Fan Award for Favorite Writer
- 1984 Comics Buyer’s Guide Fan Award for Favorite Writer
- 1984 Eagle Award for Favourite Group or Team – X-Men
- 1986 Eagle Award for Favorite Group or Team – X-Men
- 1988 Comics Buyer’s Guide Fan Award for Favorite Writer
- 1989 Comics Buyer’s Guide Fan Award for Favorite Writer
- 1990 Comics Buyer’s Guide Fan Award for Favorite Writer
- 1990 Comics Buyer’s Guide Fan Award for Favorite Comic Book Story
- 1992 Comics Buyer’s Guide Fan Award for Favorite Graphic Novel or Album for Star Trek: Debt of Honor
- Charles Klint Kellogg Award in Arts and Letters from Bard College
Other pertinent information
- This collection contains The X-Men #101-110.
- Dave Cockrum helped to create the X-Men. Cockrum has a scholarship fund named after him called the Dave & Paty Cockrum Scholarship that is awarded to a promising artist each year.
- In addition to comics, Chris Claremont has also written several different genre novels.
Davenport Public Library
321 Main Street
Davenport, IA 52801