Find Owly at your library!
Runton, Andy. Owly: Volume Two, Just a Little Blue. Top Shelf Productions: Marietta, 2005. Print.
Owly is a wordless comic by Andy Runton that tells the story of Owly and Wormy and their various woodland friends. In Volume Two, Just a Little Blue, Owly and Wormy are picking apples when they hear the tweeting of birds. By putting out seed, Owly discovers the camaraderie and friendship that the birds share and decides that he wants to be friends with them. On a trip to the store, Owly decides to build a birdhouse for the bluebirds, but soon discovers that if he wants to do so, he will have to sacrifice something very important to him. Will Owly make the sacrifice? Through this story, Owly must decide how much he is willing to sacrifice and how to help his bird friends survive.
Visual and textual style: wordless, animated, expressive, black and white, all panel contained, communicates through symbols
Potential readers/appeal factors: charming, adventure, kind, sweet, wordless, friendship
- Recipient of the 2004 Howard E. Day Memorial Prize for outstanding achievement in self-publishing for The Way Home mini
- Winner of the 2005 Ignatz Award for Promising New Talent
- Winner of the 2005 Harvey Award for Best New Talent
- Nominated for the 2005 Harvey Award for Best Graphic Novel
- Nominated for the 2005 Harvey Award for Best New Series
- Nominated for the 2005 Eisner Award for Best Publication for a Younger Audience
- Winner of the 2006 Ignatz Award for Outstanding Series
- Winner of the 2006 Eisner Award for Best Publication for a Younger Audience
Other pertinent information
- Visit Andy Runton’s website. Here you can find information about Owly, as well as information for fans, a store, illustrations, and ways to contact Andy Runton.
- According to Runton’s website, Owly was created in 2001.
Davenport Public Library
321 Main Street
Davenport, IA 52801