Books to Help You Get Started
Some careers require you to pass certain tests or have a knowledge base before you can apply. Examples of these are jobs in the medical field or certain military fields. Of course there are others. Here you can find books to help prep you for various aspects of your prospective career or your new career.
Interested in a career that isn't featured here, contact the library and we can help you find information for whatever you are interested in.
Feel free to search the library catalog if you don't find what you are looking for on this page. Some search words may include:
- job help
- career help
- vocational guidance
- OR try searching for the actual job you are interested in
Learning Express Library
- Learning Express Library is a library subscribed database that contains assistance for skills development adn access to a wide variety of practice test. Here you can find help for such tests as the GED, ACT, SAT, LSAT, GRE, GMAT, and TOEFL. There are also practice tests for civil service jobs, EMS, firefighter, law enforcement, and the military (ASVAB). Need help with computer skills, improving your writing and grammar skills, or are just curious about a career, this database offers information about these. Visit the Featured Resources page to find out more of the services the Learning Express Library offers.
- Learning Express Library offers help with the occupation exams associated with the following fields and numerous others. Check out the Career Center page for more information about the other occupation exams that are available.
- Universal Class offers some career specific classes ranging from teacher development to medical billing to real estate. Click the link to go through and examine what classes you might find useful to your career preparations.
- You will need to create an account to login to this resource, but it's free. This allows you to login and check the status of your courses, create a student profile, and check your email.
- In addtion to those specific career classes, Universal Class also offers over 100 courses in Career Training. Examples of these include event management, human resources, management, secretarial skills, small business, and software programs.
- Tutor.com offers some career prep help within their SkillsCenter Resource Library.
- Make sure to have your library card number ready. Once you get to the Tutor.com homepage, you will be prompted to enter in your library card number. You will also have to create an account.This is to let you keep track of your progress and let the tutors know how to tailor your help.
- The career resources section allows you to look up local open jobs and see helpful interview tips.
- Visit test prep resources for help with the ACT, SAT, state standardized tests, graduate school entrance exams, GED, as well as civil service and other occupation exams.