Arakawa, Hiromu. Fullmetal Alchemist: Volume 1. San Francisco: VIZ Media, 2005. Print.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Volume 1 tells the story of the Elric brother, older brother Edward and younger brother Alphonse. When they were young, Edward and Alphonse were studying alchemy and as a result, tried to resurrect their dead mother. This resulted in Edward losing his arm and a leg, while Alphonse lost his entire body and had his soul sealed into an armor suit. Alchemy is not unique anymore and as a result, Edward is a tool of the government, trying to save others. In their quest to find the Philosopher’s Stone, a stone that will allow them to perform untold alchemy magic without the constraints of alchemy law, Edward, also known as the Fullmetal Alchemist, and his younger brother, Alphonse, stumble onto a country and a people in dire need of help from enemies that are even more cunning and ruthless than the two brothers.
Visual and textual style: cinematic, gory, manga, detailed, grim, action lines, informative text, dramatic, expressice
Potential readers/appeal factors: intersection of science and religion, fights, brothers, alchemy, magic, science, religion, fantasy, art
- Won the 21st Century Enix Award for Stray Dog in 1999
- Stray Dog won the 21st Century Shōnen Gangan” Award.
- Fullmetal Alchemist won the Shogakukan Manga Award in the Shōnen category in 2004
- Won the Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize for New Artist in 2011
- Won the Seium Award in the Best Science Fiction Comic Category for Fullmetal Alchemist in 2011
- Won the Managa Taishō Award for Silver Spoon in 2012
- Won the Shogakukan Manga Award in the Shōnen category for Silver Spoon in 2012
Other pertinent information
- Fullmetal Alchemist debuted in Square Enix’s monthly manga anthology Shonen Gangan in 2001.
- This is the original manga behind the video game series and the hit anime.
- This manga was adapted into two anime television series.
Davenport Public Library
321 Main Street
Davenport, IA 52801