Johnston, Lynn. “It Must Be Nice to Be Little”: A For Better or For Worse® Collection. Kansas City: Andrewsand McMeel, Inc., 1983. Print.
For Better of For Worse is a slice of life comic that captures specific moments within the lives of the Pattersons as they raise their children and go about their life. This comic is very down to earth and details instances within the Pattersons’ everyday lives that are relatable and could possible happen in real life.
Visual and Textual Style: Nostalgic, realistic, expository, conversational, real time
Potential readers/appeal factors: realistic fiction readers, easily relatable to everyday life, characters age in real time
- First woman and first Canadian to win the National Cartoonist Society’s Reuben Award in 1985
- Gemini Award – Best Cartoon Series in 1987
- Honorary Degree, Doctor of Letters, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay Ontario in 1990
- National Cartoonist Society Newspaper Comic Strip Award in 1991
- Johnston was made a member of the Order of Canada, Canada’s highest civilian honor in 1992
- Honorary Degree, Doctor of Laws, McMaster University, Hamilton Ontario in 1993
- Nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for a story on Lawrence’s coming out in 1993
- Honorary Degree, Doctor of Laws, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario in 1999
- Honorary Degree, Doctor of Letters, Nipissing University, North Bay, Ontario in 2000
- Honorary Degree, Doctor of Letters, Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, Vancouver in 2000
- Comic of the Year, Editor and Publisher in 2001
- A star on Canada’s Walk of Fame in Toronto in 2003
- Debwewin Citation from the Anishinabek Nation for excellence in Aboriginal-issues journalism in 2004
- Made a member of the Order of Manitoba in 2007
- Inducted into the Canadian Cartoonist Hall of Fame in 2008
- Inducted into the National Cartoon Museum Hall of Fame in 2008
Other pertinent information:
- Johnston worked as a medical artist and that is how she says she gained a respect for the human body and all of the intricacies of life.