Holm, Jennifer L., and Matthew Holm. Babymouse: Queen of the World!. Vol. 1. Random House: New York, 2005. Print.
Babymouse: Queen of the World! Centeres around Babymouse and her boring, every day the same life. At school, Babymouse and her friend Wilson the Weasel make plans to watch the monster movie, Attack of the Giant Squid, on Friday night. Soon after Babymouse discovers that Felicia Furrypaw, THE most popular girl in school, is throwing a slumber party AND SHE IS INVITED! But what will Wilson do if she does not show up? Will the slumber party turn out like she has always imagined? Or will it turn sour?
Visual and textual style: minimal colors(black, pink, and white), smooth lines, easy reading level, predictable story line, clever text, daydreamers/imaginative
Potential readers/appeal factors: sassy/sarcastic characters, imaginative, shows elementary school trouble, humorous, readers who have read Junie B. Jones, Bad Kitty, Dork Diaries, and Ivy and Bean will like Babymouse
- Jennifer Holms has won the Newbery Honor three times for Our Only May Amelia, Penny from Heaven, and Turtle in Paradise.
- Babymouse has won multiple Children’s Choice Awards.
- One of the Babymouse titles was the first graphic novel ever to be named an ALA Notable Children’s Book winner in 2006.
- Winner of the 2006 Gryphon Award.
- Winner of the 2006 New York Book Show Awards.
Other pertinent information
- Babymouse has her own website at www.babymouse.com as part of the Random House Kids consortium. This website has lists of both the Babymouse and Squish books, as well as a list of characters, videos, activities, games, reviews of the books, guides for the books, as well as information about the authors.
- Babymouse is created by the brother and sister team, Matthew and Jennifer Holm.
- For more information about Jennifer and Matt, visit Scholastics’s biography page about the two.
- Matthew and Jennifer have also created the Squish series together.
- Matthew Holm has a website at www.matthewholm.net, while Jennifer has one at http://www.jenniferholm.net/.